Spafax Amps Up Canadian Operations
June 2, 2014 – Global content agency Spafax has announced a major expansion of its Canadian business, including the establishment of a Toronto Creative Hub, a new 5,000-square foot office space in the downtown core, the launch of a public relations practice and 15 new roles since January. These changes reflect the company’s commitment to take its North American business to the next level, offering top-quality content marketing services to a growing portfolio of clients.
“This is an exciting time for our business, and marks a new chapter for Spafax Canada in terms of our offerings and ambitions for growth,” says Nino Di Cara, Executive VP, Content Marketing. “By reinforcing our strategic resources, we will continue to provide best-in-class engagement and communication solutions for our clients across digital, experiential, print and event platforms.”
Toronto Office and Creative Hub
Operational since May 1, 2014, Spafax’s new central location at 2 Bloor St. East will allow the team to better service clients and advertisers. This new space has been custom-designed to facilitate collaboration between teams, and is situated in close proximity to the company’s clients and partners.
The Spafax Toronto office will also be home to a new Creative Hub, headed up by Lisa Guimond, recently named Special Projects Editor, as well as Editor of Air Canada’s enRoute édition (a new magazine for passengers travelling between Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport and Montreal) and Associate Art Director Jennifer Spinner. Together, Lisa and Jennifer will also execute advertiser-driven content integration initiatives.
Promotions and New Hires
Four senior-level appointments have been made within Spafax’s creative teams:
· Ilana Weitzmanhas been promoted to Content Director, Air Canada Media. In this new role, Ilana maintains her title and responsibilities as Editor-in-Chief, Air Canada’s enRoute and assumes responsibility for leading the growing portfolio of multi-platform content initiatives Spafax creates for Air Canada's other channels, including the premium community of Altitude members.
· This change follows news of Jean-François Légaré recent appointment as Altitude Media Editor. Jean-François brings nine years of experience from editing several leading lifestyle publications.
· Adam Cholewa recently joined Air Canada’s enRoute magazine as Art Director. Most recently Associate Art Director at the award-winning weekly magazine The Grid, Cholewa’s experience also includes Maclean’s, Chatelaine and Toro magazines.
· Natasha Mekhail (previously Editor, Luxury Brands) has been promoted to Editor-in-Chief, Luxury Brands, reflecting a surge of activity within this area of business.
New Sales Team Structure
Within the Spafax sales team, three new hires and strategic promotions reflect the company’s offering of best-in-class integrated advertising solutions, as well as guidance on how to access high-value audiences:
· National Sales Manager Laura Maurice has been promoted to Media Director, overseeing all Canadian sales initiatives.With 15 years of experience in the Canadian media industry including senior planning roles at Starcom MediaVest Group and McCann Canada, Maurice’s “insider” view provides sharp strategic insight and an innovative, integrated approach.
· Tracy Miller has been appointed National Sales Manager, overseeing a team of ten Canadian sales representatives. Miller’s experience as an industry leader as well as a sales manager for major outlets including The Globe & Mail and Toronto Life gives her the perfect credentials for this leadership role.
· John Nagy, previously National Account Manager at Spafax, has been promoted to Manager of National Partnerships. Within his new role at Spafax, Nagy will head up efforts to deliver added value to the company’s partner advertisers. Previously Sales Manager at Chatelaine and National Account Manager in Rogers’ Digital Department, John brings industry-leading expertise to the company.
New Division: Brand Alliances, Marketing, and Public Relations
As a natural extension of Spafax’s leading services, the agency is growing its PR capabilities. Under the leadership of Courtney MacNeil, Director, Brand Alliances, Marketing, and PR, the department will help further amplify the programs of current and new clients reinforcing the need for integrated public relations and marketing programs.
Phil Birnbaum joins the team as Publicist, overseeing communications for Spafax and will work with the current teams to integrate the PR capabilities into the current client roster. Phil brings four years of experience in luxury consumer public relations to the agency.
“Spafax Canada has long set the tone for our global content marketing approach, and these moves reinforce our commitment to providing outstanding service and solutions to our clients as the content marketing landscape continues to evolve,” says Raymond Girard, President, Content Marketing.