UC Hastings Magazine - Toward Justice for All
Diablo Custom Publishing
Client: UC Hastings
Audience: Alumni, faculty and students
The magazine is intended to inform the target audience about UC Hastings' accomplishments, activities, and events; to build a cohesive sense of community; to inspire alumni and others to support the law school.
UC Hastings College of the Law hired DCP to create a redesigned alumni magazine in spring 2008. They ask us to interpret and strategically apply their new brand identity — created by an independent branding agency in 2007 — to their alumni magazine.
DCP understood the marriage between editorial and design, applying best journalistic practices. DCP built an editorial and design architecture for the magazine that included new front-of-book departments, an identifiable feature well, class notes, and relevant back-of-book departments. Creatively applying modular departments and sections which are flexible visually and editorially, has allowed this magazine to appear fresh, relevant, and useful – even after 12 issues.
The content is lively, engaging and informative, establishing and reinforcing connections between the alumni community and the law school.
- Consultation: Magazine architecture and communications strategy. After a methodical brand immersion and strategic evaluation, DCP re-designed and re-launchd the magazine.
- Editorial: DCP provides editorial consultation and annual planning as well as all feature copy writing, content editing, production editing, and proofreading.
- Design: Complete art direction and graphic design services, including consultation to plan each issue, sourcing of custom and stock photography, and all page layout and production design services.
- Project management: DCP project manager service as customer service contact for the client -- organizes annual publications schedules, billing, receipt of client supplied materials, advertising manifests, and vendor communications.
- Prepress, printing and distribution: All included in the base services package from DCP.
The magazine has become the cornerstone publication tool for the university. All other publications and collateral are now integrated with and complimentary to the design and edit style DCP created for UC Hastings magazine six years ago. In addition to full design, project management, production, printing and fulfillment services, DCP writes all feature stories and departments in the magazine.
Because of their satisfaction with our work, UC Hastings College of the Law has also awarded to DCP the edit, design, and production of its admissions viewbook – twice.
In 2011, after the arrival of Frank Wu, the new Dean, UC Hastings College of the Law put the magazine and all other publications out for public bid. This coincided with plans for a new Web site and a strategic branding initiative. DCP was awarded a multi-year contract after that bid and continues to be the primary communications vendor partner of UC Hastings College of the Law.
- UC Hastings magazine earned a Custom Content Council “Pearl” award for excellence in 2010 and in 2013.